This is a modification of a recipe from Averiecooks.com: Hot and Sour Broiled Tofu that my wife asked me to tweak for her.
- 16 oz. Tofu pressed (Cut into 12-16 slices)
- Juice from 1 medium orange
- 3 tbsp. Jalapenos diced (I used jar slices)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 4 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Stevia Packets
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. Corn Starch
- If you have not already done so, press your tofu for at least 30 min. This is important if you don’t want runny tofu.
- Wisk together all ingredients except the tofu.
- Pour into a sauce pan and put on stove at med-high heat. (Gas may vary since I did mine on electric.)
- Stir regularly if not constantly once it gets close to boiling.
- Boil until it starts to thicken. (If you are familiar with the original recipe we are replacing the pepper jelly with this mixture.)
- Take off stove and cool for a few min till it is a little more thick.
- While waiting line a cookie sheet with baking paper.
- Take slices of Tofu and dip into the marinade, once covered place on cookie sheet. You should have something that looks like this:
- Set the oven to broil and let the tofu sit for 15 min to let the flavor soak into the tofu.
- Place tofu in the oven on the 2nd shelf down from the top.
- Broil for 5 min and then watch the tofu constantly and turn cookie sheet if it starts to look un-even. The marinade should be bubbling/caramelizing on the top of the tofu.
- Remove from oven after about 2-5 more min depending on how brown you want it. It should look like this:
- Let cool for a couple min so you don’t burn your mouth on the delicious flavor. I suggest adding some steamed broccoli, it was delicious!